Monday, February 15, 2010

Running....on Empty




How can I be so tired and it is only Monday?

Thursday's pot-luck to bid Joe,Mica and their family good-bye was fun-filled, lots of music and good food. Joe even played Auld Lang Syne on the bag-pipes. The kids played out back in the Trossels yard, hide and seek, tag, wheel barrow races well after the sun had set. The sky was lit by the brilliant stars - we laid on the grass and looked up with wonder. The kids all played together, our boys being the youngest, all the way up to kids in high-school - that is just the way it is done here. Friday, we enjoyed another get together at Mary's house - her house has an expansive balcony which affords a spectacular view. The kids were plenty wound up by the time we illuminated our head-lamp and made the trek through the wooded trail back home.

Saturday, I decided to support the other local private school in the area (Cloud Forest School/La Creativa) in their scholarship fundraiser and ran the 5K. The weather was perfect; however I forgot to lather on the sun-screen so I am still suffering a little. I keep forgetting how brutal the sun can be even at 8:30 a.m. The route was familiar to me as the Race signs pointed up past the Clinic with that spectacular view of the Bay of Nicoya. We ended the run with the brutal uphill to the campus where we were greeted with music, fruit and plenty of H2O. I was pleased with my 4th place finish, considering I hadn't run in over a month due to my back problems. I felt great and had no pain so managed to finish strong at the end of the 3.1 mile marker. YAY..not bad for a 45 year ole gal. After I finished, I managed to park myself half way down the hill I had just labored so hard to climb to cheer on the runners that elected to race the 10K. Raul (Gaudy's husband) was the 11th to head up the hill; he tells me he was in 3rd place; however suffered from stomach pains throughout the race which hurt his finish. There was even one dude that ran the race bare-foot; he came running up the hill with a bandage flapping off his one foot, as to call attention to himself "hey look at me...I ran the whole way without shoes"!!! So I ask you, runners...is there a trend away from running shoes and is this the 'new fad' or is this guy just crazy? Young, old walked and ran to support the school - it was a fun day and I will proudly wear my T-shirt signifying the event.

That afternoon we walked into Cerro Plano hoping to repair one of the boy's bike tires, but missed the shop as they had just closed. We then ventured onto a dirt road and found ourselves walking down, down, down a steep hill, past the offices of the Children's Eternal Rainforest to the entrance of the Butterfly museum. Just arriving a little after 4 p.m., we entered only to find the staff enjoying a cold one as they too had just closed. Nonetheless, the staff was very helpful and provided us with maps and other info for our next visit. Mike made some good connections for school as one of the gals volunteered to lead a class fieldtrip of sorts for his students. We continued to venture down this road until it ended at the Monteverde Inn. We were saddened to find out the only way back to the main road was the way we came...wasn't going to happen, so we quickly accepted a ride from Felix, the father of a classmate of the boys. Felix and his son were excited to share some photos they had snapped the night before of two young Pumas just beyond the woods by the hotel. This hotel is quite remote and the pics were great...I'm sure Moma Puma was not far behind!

That night we headed out across the yard to Bromelias for the 'open mic' event...lots of students and teachers participating. One student sang and played guitar; two songs that she composed, one "Mr. Mohawk", referring to her twin brother's mohawk and the other song about her ailing mother who is under-going treatment for cancer. Lots of talent here in Monteverde; however, I am quite content to be a spectator as my musical talents are somewhere between 'Row, Row Row your Boat' and 'John, Jacob, Jingleheimer Schmidt". I flopped into bed and fell fast asleep.

Sunday was cooler and cloudy, but it didn't deter us from grabbing our swim suits and heading to Poco a Poco Hotel here in Monteverde. For a minimal fee, residents can enjoy their pool and have a splashing good time. We went with Veronica and Stuart and had a blast. I was in the pool for four hours, trying to keep my boys afloat and playing games with Stuart as well. It was nice to relax and enjoy a change in scenery. By the time I climbed out, I felt like a drown rat with the wrinkled fingers and toes to prove it.

Needless to say, a busy weekend and an even busier one to come as I leave for the airport in San Jose on Thursday to greet my family...then off to the beach for a long weekend.

We continue to exhaust ourselves each day with whatever is in front of us...no grand plans, just wherever the wind blows us.

Signed: S

No comments:

Post a Comment