Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Monsoon (Cont)

Cumulative Precipitation September 2010 at our house

Sept 7 263mm 10.3in

Sept 14 477mm 18.8in

Sept 21 538mm 21.2in

Sept 27 909mm 35.8in

Sept 30 ??? ???

The skies have dumped an average above 50mm (2in) per day this past week. We remain in a low pressure system so reaching 1000mm (39.37in) is probable.

I think the dreariness of this past week is starting to wear on many, including myself. Up until last Thursday, mornings have at least been bright if not sunny and thunderstorms typically arrived in the afternoon and trickled down into the evening. This current pattern, known as a temporal, brings off and on drizzle and rain for days. Temperatures remain cool in the 60s.

The result? People spending more time indoors, student absence rates are high, and the constant drip drip keeps me and John up at night. This is winter in Costa Rica, so we put on our boots, and rain gear to keep our bodies comfortable. I get a kick out of the many kids and adults wearing gloves, knit hats and fur lined jackets when its 60 degrees! Well, I am sitting here in fleece, always wear socks and have now been heating water to do the dishes. I think I’ll turn on all the lights, go to the kitchen and cook something.

No comments:

Post a Comment