Friday, February 25, 2011

Brain Development

As I sit here, trying to sort out the hundreds of ideas in my head, I cannot focus on any one event. I favor an objective writing style that and would rather write about a specific topic than give a journal of my daily activities. My better half possesses much more freedom with the pen and can write a detailed, colorful diary of a weeks events. Hmm, I wonder if there is any connection to our different successes in learning the Spanish language. She is almost fluent while the Ticos either give me blank stares, tilt their heads or gasp and giggle when I speak. Even back in elementary school, my worst grades were always in language arts, I think that had something to do with reading and writing, while my best grades were consistently in math, science and the geography part of social studies. I try not to label things as one might become what he thinks, but the evidence over the years is consistent.

I observe our little boys, and note their differing intellectual, physical, emotional strengths and find it interesting that over the past four plus years, some of the same patterns have persisted. At the same time, I need to be careful about the labels and ensure that they are encouraged to experiment and to experience development in a variety of areas. The development of neuronal connections in each brain varies. It starts as a genetic message coded in our DNA passed to us from our biological parents. Brain development is then influenced by our environment, fetal and post-birth. Diet, exercise and social bonding are big factors in brain development.

More food for thought. I recently read about research that indicated a 70 year old can pursue some type of intellectual challenge for one year, and reduce the effective brain age by 40 years. Yes, this is vague, but in summary: Exercise your brain, it can't hurt.

OK, the sun is up and the Mot Mots are hoot hooting. Should be another beautiful summer day. Signed M.

No comments:

Post a Comment