Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Captured in the Canopy




April 27th 6:00 to 11:00 a.m. – Tree Sit at Vandusen/Joyce Platform - Here's a copy of the reflection I wrote during my 5-hour tree sit this morning. It should be posted on www.monteverde60th.org tomorrow.

As I stuffed my laptop into my backpack, downed my last swig of coffee, filled my water bottle, gathered my keys and kissed the three men in my life goodbye this morning at 5:45 a.m., I thought to myself, what a difference 22 months makes as I headed down through our pasture, to the rickety gate and crossed over the principal road here in Monteverde.

Since leaving Chicago almost two years ago, my life and my family’s lives have changed exponentially. Rewind to April 2009, my morning ritual: a mile walk from my house in the western suburbs of Chicago to the commuter train station at 5:30 a.m., crossing the train tracks, dodging cars, horns honking and train whistles ferociously blowing, fighting the crowds and jockeying for position to grab one of the remaining available seats, opening my laptop and watching the villages along the tracks wiz by out the window of the train as we express toward Chicago’s Union Station.

In sheer contrast, today, I walk a 10-minute ramble to a tree platform after having navigated through several hundred meters of narrow path balanced on a rather steep knife ridge. An extension ladder waits, which was my ‘stairway to heaven’ or almost! A wooden platform greets me high within the green canopy, my ears already filled with the steady hum of the gentle river underneath me. I am warmed by the sun, which is just now coming over the ridge. I am thankful for the little bit of rain last night and the refreshing morning dew!

Indeed, I am privileged to be perched a high this platform today and am thankful for the opportunity to be involved and integrated within this Monteverde community.

Greetings from above! My name is Sally Schaefer and I have the 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. tree-sit shift this morning, Wednesday, April 27th. Who am I? 46 year-old mother of two, very active, five year old boys, wife to an MFS teacher, active school volunteer and a still, recovering type A, business person from Chicago!

We came to Monteverde almost two years ago with our then, two, three year old boys – my husband had just secured a teaching job at MFS and we were eager to start our new adventure here in the cloud forest. Why such a move and why to Monteverde? I wanted desperately to exit corporate America after 20 years in technology project management and Mike, my husband, wanted to get back into the classroom after being a stay-at-home dad for several years. Monteverde seemed like a logical choice for us, Mike had done previous research and study here and we had honeymooned here seven years ago. As you may imagine, our first year here was filled with many challenges; new language, new house, new school, new parent at home as primary care-giver – the list goes on and on. In retrospect, the challenges faced were to be expected as our lives were reeling from several significant changes. It is this awesome community that helped us meet these challenges and to find peace and hope for a happy and fulfilling life here on the mountain. This place is just not a community, it is a family – if you are sick, chicken soup arrives at your doorstep, if you need a ride to the clinic because your child just gashed his head open after rough-housing and crashing into the concrete floor, someone is there to drive you to the clinic and settle you back into your home. What ever your need is – you can be sure the folks here will come a running.

From the school perspective, I have been blessed to be involved with MFS in a variety of ways, a member of the Fundraising Committee, helping to coordinate the annual Walkathon fundraiser, writing articles for the Gallo Pinto school newsletter, participating in parent/teacher and school committee meetings, conducting mini-courses, and assisting with a capital campaign for school facility renovations. There is never a shortage of activities to get involved with here at the school.

My husband, a science teacher, is, well, in heaven here as all he really needs to do is step outside the house where a science lesson practically invents itself. In turn, he passes his curiosity onto our, now, two five year olds boys.

I can see first hand, the truly magical things that are happening here at the school through the eyes and inquisitiveness of my boys. They are thriving in the Kinder program at school, which is based on the Montessori teaching methodology. Their classmates are a mix of local children and international students who may be here for a temporary stay of anywhere from a semester to several years. The kids here get hugged and loved on each day, not only by other teachers, but also by other students. It is not uncommon to see children three to four years of age being pushed on a swing or being helped up the slide on the playground by an older Colegio student. It is this mix and interaction of ages and their collaboration among themselves that makes MFS so special. My boys are learning the importance of respect and peaceful conflict resolution – this is evident by the “peace table” that sits atop the loft in the kid’s classroom. The education here is integral, whole and provides a solid foundation for whatever a student may choose to do later in life.

Personally, when I hear friends say, how great it is that you are giving your boys a ‘better life’, all I know, is that the life we are providing them is ‘different’ – better or worse…who knows? All I know for now is that I am content, present and enjoying life. This community has helped me to live in the moment and to be truly present in the lives of all I love.

I am having a great time assisting with the coordination of this Tree Canopy Campaign; helping to raise funds for financial aid and am completely, over the top, inspired by it. Recent graduates of MFS and Colegio students have taken on hefty leadership roles to not only get this event off the ground but also keep it running with timely updates and photos on the blog. The creation of the website, complements of a high school student, fabulous photos, complements of a high school student, scheduling and communication, complements of a recent graduate, tree climbing support and orientation, complements of a recent graduate…need I say more? How delightful it is to see young adults taking ownership of this very important program.

One of the things that set the Monteverde Friends School apart is its diversity and ability to offer a quality education to some children that may not otherwise have an opportunity to gain such an education. It is the school’s financial aid program (which is comprised of a scholarship and sponsorship program) that enables some of these kids to attend MFS.

The great thing about this campaign is that it aligns perfectly with the celebration of the 60th anniversary of Monteverde. So let us strive to reach our $60,000 goal with spending no less than 600 hours in the trees. Lets keep offering education to our children in the zone – is there really any greater gift to give a child?

While gathered in the Meeting room two nights ago, after school, huddled with other Campaign Planning Committee members, one of the parents said something that has stuck with me; I continue to replay it in my mind…she remarked, as we reach out to potential donors for their support, ask folks to simply “love the kids we love”. So, I ask…will you?

www.monteverde60th.org - I challenge each follower of my blog to donate $5 or $10 to this campaign. Follow this link to donate via Network for Good or be sending a check to: Monteverde Friends US, c/o Clara Rowe, PO Box 993, Amherst MA 01004

Peace,
Signed: S

2 comments: