Sunday, December 13, 2009

Have Bike...Will Pedal (Well Almost)









A well-used, red bike is now perched up against our front porch, with a very worn child's helmet dangling from one of the handlebars.   Our latest purchase, snatched up by yours truly at our neighbor's garage sale last week.  Both tires are flat as pancakes, but one could not resist the price tag (3000 colones), so 'trash to treasure' we hope!  Perhaps all it needs is some TLC and a brief borrow of a bike pump, which our friend Veronica can supply.  Otherwise, we will head into the cycling shop in Cerro Plano mid week for a quick repair.  The flats don't seem to damper the boy's fun as they quite enjoy riding around the house on the yard, being pushed by either me, dad or Gaudy.  Having only the one bike here, ensures the reinforcement of sharing and taking turns.  Last summer, as we prepared for our move, the boys were almost ready to do away with their training wheels, so hopefully they will find their balance quickly as this new bike is of the 'two-wheeler' version.  We have limited options for learning to ride here in Monteverde as the roads are all dirt and rock, so our choices include, either the flat yard that surrounds our house or chancing it on the patio which is a concrete circle outlining our house. The latter option is probably not a good choice, given the many expansive windows that butt-up to the patio - add two active pre-schoolers, the re-introduction of a bike, and well, need I say more?  :) Other finds at the sale:  Spiderman and Batman masks, ping pong paddles and balls and Peruvian wool sweater for me!

Our 'neighbors' mentioned above who hosted the sale, own Bromelias which has undergone quite a face-lift in the last two months.  It re-opened its doors two weeks ago, offering a wide range of services, Wifi, cafe, bar, music shop, outdoor gardens, amphitheatre.   I have already frequented the cafe and can recommend it as my friend, Veronica, treated me to a yummy mushroom sandwich on Friday!  Last night's concert; a 2000 colones cover charge, was enjoyed by the Schaefer family 'free of charge', given our proximity!

Christmas season is upon us and there is a full list of school events planned for the community to enjoy.  The boys are awaiting Santa's visit and are asking how he will get into the house due to the fact that we don't have a fireplace, as we did in Chicago.  They are convinced he will make a huge hole in the roof and gain access that way.  When I ask, "what do you want Santa to bring you", the responses are all over the board.  Everything from muffin tins, to little boy scissors (did I mention we already have 4 pair in the house), little boy oven & microwave (whatever that means), a doll, jelly beans.  What imaginations!  Perhaps instead of the traditional carrot left out for the reindeer, we will mix it up this year, with a little mango and papaya!  I imagine Rudolph even tires of carrots!  I cannot help but think that the 'muffin tin' thought is due in large part to the boys baking carrot/raisin muffins this past weekend, with good intentions of sharing with Martha Moss (an elderly woman who lives just across the main street).  Sorry Martha, all have been consumed, so I will be prepping another batch tomorrow - promise to walk them over to you before little hands once again raid the refrig.

I have been extremely busy with my volunteer commitments at school and have several meetings a week.  Yesterday, Jude and I presented the proposed process for an upcoming School initiative to the 'Meeting for Business' which was held immediately after the 'Meeting for Worship at 10:30'.  An exhausting Sunday as I arrived home about 4:30 p.m. after leaving home earlier in the a.m., about 10!   Not being a Quaker, it was enlightening to observe a 'Meeting for Business' and the mechanics of how that meeting operates.  A far cry from Corporate America and the meetings I am so accustomed to facilitating.  A lesson in patience and 'enjoying the journey'...indeed.  During the announcement part of the meeting for worship, I took note of a 'Prayer and Share' that I attended today at Rio Shanti, the local yoga joint.  I enjoyed my time with a couple (Mike and Maria) from St. Louis, who facilitate the group discussion and sharing.  I listened to the Word which Mike recited from various bible passages and other readings he and Maria had compiled.  The topic was Peace & Christmas but we managed to cover lots of topics as we sat legs crossed on the Yoga mats on the studio floor, just inside the balcony surrounded by lush foliage.  I am eager to take Mike with me next Monday and for the opportunity to get to know this couple better.  

Mike and I will also attend the Thursday meeting at Rio Shanti to discuss the book, Peace Pilgrim.  Veronica, our good friend, hipped us to the meeting and since school breaks for the holidays this Wednesday, we are free to attend for the next month while Gaudy sits for the boys.  We attended our first meeting Thanksgiving Day and found it to be really great.  We met on the balcony at Rio Shanti, with the nearby river setting the tone for the discussion.  A peaceful place and so fitting given the topic.  There were about 6 of us; we each took turns reading from Peace Pilgrim's book which chronicles her 25,000 + mile pilgrimage across the United States spreading her message for peace.  Her pilgrimage covered the entire peace picture; peace among nations, groups, individuals and the quest for inner peace.  For those of you wondering, if I was really able to sit (on a yoga mat no less), read a passage from a book (not related to my work) and actually enjoy it....HAH - I not only did and enjoyed it, but walked out with a smile on my face as well!

Saturday was a beatufil day, our new friend, Edda, her 4-year old son, Javier and baby, Luna came over to play, the three boys had fun gathering fire wood for the raging fire we enjoyed that night, throwing bean-bags and flying paper air-planes that Mike made with the kids while Edda and I enjoyed getting to know each other better.  Oh the joys of simple play.  

What a difference the dry season makes!  Starting the fire the other night was a breeze compared to a couple of months ago.  We finally polished off the bag of marshmallows we've been hiding in the back of the freezer!  I am convinced that every boy is a Pyromaniac; my sons included.  Michael and John were so intrigued with the fire, the burning embers and really into fanning the flames to give the fire oxygen to keep it going.  Mike enjoyed teaching the kids about fire (and of course the safety responsibility).   

An interesting observation this week:  I have caught Michael red-handed several times; (hand in the cookie jar sort of thing)
1. Walking in the front door after having hung the laundry out to dry, I catch Michael with a bag of chocolate chips in one hand, a handful of them in the other, and chocolate smeared all over his mouth. 
2. Hiding out in back of the house, huge jar of chunky peanut butter and a plastic spoon in hand - Michael truly is my little Buddha Belly.

I just finished reading "Redirecting Children's Behaviour' which Veronica lent me.  I so enjoyed it and will order a copy of it tonight for myself.  I suppose it is more about redirecting my own behavior as a parent, rather than that of your child's, however; I have implemented some of the strategies with the boys which appear to be working.  

I miss family and friends; especially during this season and fondly remember last year's Christmas with Mike's family - know that we will be thinking of you!

One last random thought, I have been walking/running up to Santa Elena any chance I can get and often on these clear, sunny mornings, turn the corner as I pass the Clinic and have a spectacular view of the Bay of Nicoya off to my right.  I wonder to myself where might I be running next year and what might my view be?
 
Will end this post as I have coughed and hacked myself through this past hour after having just finished reading books to the kids from the MFS library. 

Signed: S

No comments:

Post a Comment