Saturday, December 12, 2009

School Notes

We are back, connected to the world again. It has been another busy week for me, waking up at 3 or 4AM each day to write student reports. The semester is almost over and we start our break after holiday class performances on Wednesday. I am gaining a metric ton of experience teaching math and the many ways of playing with numbers that I either forgot about or did not learn thirty-five years ago. Much of my focus has been on preparing daily math lessons for mixed levels of abilities in a 5/6 class and a 7/8 class. I also teach science daily to each of these two classes and host a 90 minute ‘minicourse’ on Thursday afternoons.  The minicourse is an elective taken by each student and courses range from practical skills to sports to arts. In my classroom, we just finished our ‘science experiments’ minicourse with a curious and inventive group of 1st through 4th graders.

 

I decided to delay our unit on arthropods until the spring when we should see more critters roaming about. Since October, insect sightings have been low, probably normal during the rainy and cool season. Already, this week in the bright sunlight, I have noticed an increase in flying insects, so maybe chances will be better for locating juicy crickets to feed our classroom spider.  Signed M

No comments:

Post a Comment