Monday, August 30, 2010

Water Logged!

Another full weekend, dodging the rain and puddles. Mike tells me we’ve received over 20 inches of rain since August 17th , the day we stuck our rain gage into the overly saturated ground out back. You can imagine how green and lush the foliage is here with all the wet stuff. The boys really enjoy checking the rain stats with dad each morning….usually in their skivies and mom and dad’s boots that go mid-thigh on them…quite a sight! Who needs a cup of coffee to wake up when you have this to look forward to :)

I survived my first meeting on the new building with the core team this morning. It is an exciting time as we assemble the team and review preliminary floor plans for the new space. I have just taken a break from documenting the meeting to finish this post…as many family members are having ‘blog withdrawal’ since I missed an update this past weekend. I spent a good chunk of last week finishing up the painting in the house and what a difference it makes. Much more cheerful and welcoming (at least I think so).

The school held an open house this past Thursday, which I attended. The first part of the evening was spent in a general parent/teacher meeting where all parents were encouraged to sign up for a committee, a weekend cleanup day and a volunteer spot to assist with a Thursday afternoon mini-course. I spent the remaining time in the kinder space with the boy’s teachers, perched on the kid-size chairs as they demonstrated some of the 'works' and methods used in the class. I was happy to see how they’ve used their additional space, they even have a cook top and real kitchen area where the kids can help prepare the Wednesday ‘shared snack’. I was smiling from ear to ear when Melody (their teacher) said that the parents don’t have to cut up fruit if they choose to bring that for shared snack…”just bring your watermelons, mangos, papayas, pinas in their entirety, and we’ll have the kids do the prep”…ah, music to my ears.

We spent another delightful day yesterday in San Luis visiting with Gaudy and her family, exploring and taking in the beauty of the town and the surrounding vistas. I even got my nerve up to hop on the back of Raul’s moto as he gave me a nice tour of San Luis (both upper and lower parts). It is quite something; we waited for the rain to let up and then ventured out with my arms gripped tightly around his waist. As we made our way through the mountains, I was in awe of the beauty that seemed to greet me at every turn. The mist was caught in between the mountain’s peaks and valleys and one could truly imagine what paradise must look like. We stopped at the town’s Cancha (soccer field) and walked the soggy rectangle flanked at either end by two weather-worn goals. He shared some of his fondest memories with me, watching his late father play soccer; hoisting him up on his shoulders after winning a tournament, racing around the field with him held up high. He was proud to show me the ‘sweet spot’ in the field where his dad scored many a goal…how, I don’t know, but he said it was quite something to watch the ball arc around from the back corner of the field and land in between the uprights…GOAL! I really could feel his loss and even though his dad has been gone for several years, it must have been a very special father/son relationship. We then ventured a little further past Gaudy’s grandmother’s house only to meet her on the bridge just beyond her house where the raging river rushed below. I kept saying “I hear thunder’, and they remarked “no, that’s the rocks crashing together in the water due to the heavy current’! Ah, no swimming for sure that day!

Looks like I’ll be running my first race here in Costa Rica next month. Raul called me Saturday (I could hear his excitement in his voice) as he told me about the race in Heredia (think of it as a suburb of San Jose). I hesitated for a moment before I gave him my answer…”but Raul, I haven’t run in over a month”, he assured me it is a great experience, only 9 KM and all downhill. After running with him today (slowly and only a short distance), am I regretting my decision to run? Nope, I’ll ramp up my training and hope to finish the race and have fun – today I was glad to still be breathing after not running for six weeks…it’s the hills, the dreaded hills.

Between my meeting at the school and running with Raul, Michael and I visited the dentist for x-rays. All is well and he was delighted to view his x-rays and his permanent teeth that are sitting pretty waiting for their arrival (likely in another 2 years).

I am sad to report that the Pulperia (market) at the end of our road will be closing in 10 days. The family who owns will keep their other store in Cerro Plano in operation and will offer a “rapid service” delivery (think of it as Pea Pod)…just not the same tho. Half the fun of shopping was greeting others and seeing my boys try and finagle a ‘treat’ or a pack of gum out of me. I guess I’ll plan a weekly shopping day and hoof it into Super Compro to get my groceries. Times are a changing.

I am tired and will close for now. Oh, just in case you are wondering…the kids are doing wonderfully at school and I am out of there with just one kiss and hug…a far cry from last year when I would have two three year olds clinging to my legs….Thanks Guys!

Peace,
Signed: S

No comments:

Post a Comment