Thursday, December 23, 2010

Busy Elves!






Even Santa's helpers need to burn off some steam - enjoying the tight-rope in the pasture - we told the boys we would construct a zip line in our front yard over the holiday - so consider this their canopy experience while they wait for the 'real-thing'. Fun with bubbles too and finally greeting the horses as we made our way to school tonight for yet another Christmas event!


My day started today with a run into Santa Elena - it felt good but I really had to push through the head wind on the way home - but a great way to start the day. Perhaps that was the most relaxing part of my day.

Two days until Christmas and we had barely made a dent in the Christmas gift exchange that was WHAT, only 48 hours away! Good Grief - lets get to work boys! Yesterday while in Santa Elena, I stumbled upon a nursery (of the plant variety) and wandered up the driveway. I was so suprised to see my friend Hugh and his wife Phoebe pop their heads from around the front door. I asked "you live here?", they replied like it was no big deal...."of course, welcome to our slice of paradise", and in deed it was as I panned the georgous vista in front of me, hills and gulf of Nicoya as far as the eye could see. To the right of their house sat a little greenhouse where Phoebe grows a variety of plants. I followed her in and found the perfect gift - a tri level pot, perfect for a variety of small cactuses (which I knew was a favorite of one of our secret Santas). The pot was weathered, but hoped it would look like new with a fresh coat of paint, compliments of the boys. So, our first project today, get those pots painted - and the boys did a wonderful job. Tomorrow, we'll re-glue the top pot back into position (did I mention the pot is well 'used' at best?) and get those cactuses into their new home.





From there, we moved onto making ornaments, some to keep, others to give away. I had a ton of fun and Michael and John enjoyed it too! Mike's artist talent grew with each ornament - "most improved" if ever there was one. Yes, he created the Tarantula ornament...need you ask?




Next, onto making gingerbread cookies - we were hard-pressed to keep little fingers out of the dough mixture, but managed to get some into the oven. YUMMY



A quick clean-up job and then off to the school to attend the BBQ - it was a very peaceful night - the stars were shining bright and the mist a steady one! The kids roasted hot dogs as I opted for a piece of chicken, and Mike beef. The chicken melted in my mouth - it is a rarity that we treat ourselves to chicken, so I enjoyed every bite of it. They had several pits roaring with flames - the pigs were roasted to perfection and ready for cutting up and later to served at Christmas dinner at the School. The boys enjoyed running around with several of their classmates as I warmed my back on the fire.



Last Friday, the Kinder kids sang some Christmas songs and were delightful at the Christmas Assembly. Michael had a tad of 'stage-fright' so he did not make it up on stage, but John sang his heart out and had the cutest little grin on his face the entire time - he really enjoyed it!



My body is tired and tomorrow will come too early. 10 a.m. will find us at the Meeting House decorating away and then home to cook something for the Christmas Eve Pot-Luck at Marie-Cecil's.

Peace
Signed: S

1 comment:

  1. hi mike and sally! i just wanted to let you know that i follow your blog...but don't readily post comments. i love the life style you are living and how the boys are being raised. Bravo!!
    so much news from my end...drop me a line: cmalgrande@gmail.com
    you all look happy, healthy, and full of life.
    take care,
    connie

    ReplyDelete