Thursday, May 20, 2010

Everything Is Shaking!



Standing here a few minutes ago, I thought I was having a dizzy spell and quickly realized that it wasn't me, but the ground that was moving. I just felt my first earth tremor and once I realized what it was, I ran to the the next room where one boy is sleeping and thought if this gets worse, which boy do I grab first as they are napping in separate rooms. Which ceiling would be first to collapse? Is is going to get worse? It is quite mild now, maybe a 4.4 but what if it is close and we feel the impact of a 7.0? We are in a 1 story wood frame house on flat ground. All good. Fortunately it did stop, but not after rattling dishes and hanging things and sending a surge of adrenaline through my blood stream.

The seismological report took about 12 minutes to show up on the USGS website. It registered as a 6.2 located about 100 miles SW of Monteverde. The following website is great for monitoring seismic activity. It even has a section for completing a "Did you feel it?" survey.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

Interestingly, a little research reveals that CR might be "due" for a large quake due to pressures of moving earth plates built up for 50+ years. Just like many places are due for a big 'whatever' it does not affect how I carry on. Maybe its time to have an earthquake drill!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are all OK - We follow your journey all of the time and rushed to the computer to see how you were once we saw the news reports of the earthquake.
    All our love,
    Michelle, Dan & Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. I was only a ten minute walk from you and we didn't feel a thing! Only learned about it this morning on facebook!!

    ReplyDelete