Monday, October 12, 2009

Bus Virgin...No More!

Exactly 12 hours later, I am home from my epic journey today into San Jose, by bus, to see my Doctor.  I hope the 8 hours on the bus is worth it!  I left on foot at 5:45 a.m. this morning, heading for Santa Elena to catch the 6:30 bus.  Of course, within minutes of my departure, it started to rain, so I was somewhat of a soggy passenger.  This will be short and sweet as I am exhausted and we leave for a mini vacation at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow.

The trip was uneventful except for when our bus 'broke'...about 90 minutes into the ride we all heard (what sounded like a huge muffler falling off the bus).  The driver pulled over, got off the bus for about 5 minutes and must have done a quick assessment and decided we could press on.  I was unaware of what had happened until we stopped about an hour later at a rest stop and heard the news that we would await the inbound bus from San Jose to Monteverde, change busses and then be on our way.  Sounds to me that we got the best deal out of that one!  Boarding a broken bus and heading up the mountain...OH MY!
It was interesting how people got off anytime or the bus took on new passengers at other times throughout our route down the mountain.  Men were hopping on and off as well to sell bread, freeze pops, etc. to the tired passengers.  
I met the Doctor at the Clinic (I was an hour early), he was prompt, 30 minutes later I was back in a cab and waiting for the return bus ride back home.  Waiting is such hard work!  Next time I will be more adventurous and do some shopping, this time, I didn't feel getting lost was something I wanted to experience or paying more money for a cab to take me around town for that matter, so I just cracked open my Spanish book, relaxed and waited.  

I am simply amazed how anyone can drive a huge bus up the mountain, it almost made me sick a couple of times -- I was the third seat from the huge, expansive windshield, and when he maneuvered this gigantic machine around each corner, I was happy to see that we were indeed NOT hanging out in the clouds and the back of the bus had followed nicely as it should!   These buses need every bit of the entire road to prepare for each hairpin turn.  

Anyway, that is all for now - home safe, lots of hugs and kisses from the boys so I am a happy (and tired) gal.

We will probably be away for a few days as we enjoy our few days away but surely there will be some adventures awaiting and pics to boot.

Signed:  S

No comments:

Post a Comment