Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween Candy & Birthday Cake - How Sweet It Is!



















As I sit down to compose this post tonight in my bedroom (dimly lit by only one lone, exposed lightbulb), I think to myself, where shall I begin?  I continue to struggle with keeping my days straight - I do know that we have just passed into yet another month; November and that we are heading downward toward the weekend.  Oh Yes, and I can not forget to mention, that today, and for exactly 20 more days, I have boys that are NOT the same age :)

Lots to put to paper or cyber space I should say.  

Friday, we survived the parent/teacher conferences with the boy's teachers.  No surprises and somewhat reassuring to know that the things the teachers highlighted about each child are precisely the things that we are working on with them at home - so common ground between school and home is a good thing.  One change that they recommended (and that we fully support) is having Michael and John attend one day a week 'solo'.  A great recommendation which will hopefully foster independence and the evolving awakening of each boy's individual spirit and self.  A plus for me is having the chance to spend dedicated time with one while the other enjoys class.  A win-win situation for all.  

Saturday, I found myself resigned to the fact that I needed to visit the clinic in Santa Elena.  Fighting what I knew to be a sinus infection was a losing battle given my predisposition to the dreaded sinusitus, so off we went.  Mike took the boys to the Serpentarium in Santa Elena, while I ventured onto the clinic.  We are grateful to Andy Walker for not only giving us a lift and dropping the men off at the snake museum, but going the extra mile and delivering me right smack in front of the clinic's doorstep.   I left with antibiotics and an inhaler in hand and met the boys at the museum.  They quickly took my hands and guided me inside to share their new found knowledge of snakes...all kinds - simply spectacular...persoanally, I am thankful for the thick panes of glass between me and the slithery creatures :)  We returned home with 30 minutes to spare...we had been invited to join some families in the Bajo del Tigre neighborhood for trick or treating at 4:30, so Mike and I quickly put our thinking caps on and designed what we thought was a 'passable' costume.  Luckily we had a plentiful supply of balloons, a bin of pipe cleaners and paint we brought with us from the states - so we were off and running.  Divide and Conquer....I took the balloons and pipe cleaners, while Mike was on face-painting duty.  In no time, we had "Mickey Mouse meets Tiger".  The boys were pleased, so we grabbed our homemade oatmeal cookies we had made earlier in the day (our contribution to the treats) and headed for the pasture.  We did not set foot off the front patio before being stampeded by another group of kids and their parents...luckily we had made plenty of cookies, and the kids were pleased to open their bags as I tossed them in.  We had a great time trick or treating with local and expat families, we hit about 1/2 dozen homes, we not only got to sample the variety of treats (some families made home-made cookies (skeletons and bloody feet) while others handed out traditional candy) but also were welcomed into a variety of homes.  Most of the kids costumes were hand-made (I must say I was quite impressed with Johnny's costume; his mom, Elizabeth,  had constructed it using cereal boxes of all things...kudos to her!).  Others used whatever they could find in their house, pots, pans, grass, felt...You see, that is the beauty of Halloween here in Monteverde, anything goes!  We ended the night at Veronica's house where she had organized a mean game of musical chairs for all the kids.   She had ready to go, certificates for each child; I think, Michael and John's read "Best balloon and team costume" - so thoughtful of her and a great idea.  They also passed out medals to each child - M & J's eyes lit up - a happy night!  I delighted in watching the kids navigate the trails to each home - instead of shouting "hey kids, stay close...watch out for cars on the street", I found myself shouting, "hey kids, watch out for tree roots on the trails, you don't want to fall".  As we made our way home, with flashlight leading the way, the kids quickly zonked on our bed even with all the candy they consumed that night.  When it comes to candy and sweets, Michael is hillarious, when no one is looking, he will open his bag and side swipe the table with his arm - candy cascading off the side of the table, into his bag - job well done my son!  

Sunday we were pretty much house bound with rain, rain and more rain.  We spent the day baking - well, we had to do something with the ripe guavas the boys have been harvesting from the pasture!  Mike made guava pancakes while I got on the internet in search of a healthy guava bread.  I ended up making two loaves, one for us and one to take to my Monday meeting to discuss the School's Facility Master plan with the School Director, a Board member and another community member.  You name the tropical fruit, and I've probably made a bread with it.  The boys can devour a loaf in 24 hours...incredible.  I've made banana bread, papaya bread, carrot bread and now guava bread!  Don't tell Mike, but I am actually enjoying being in the kitchen!

Monday, more rain and the aforementioned meeting.  I grabbed my guava bread and headed to school - the four of us piled into Wendy's tuk tuk and headed toward Jude's home.  She served lunch while we talked shop and developed a strawman plan as to how to move the new school building project forward.  Jude has a Project background so we are a good fit and I am eager to work with her on this initiative.  Back home by 3 PM, just in time to greet Helena for the boy's art class.  By the time I arrived, Helena already had them; not only working and in full artist mode, but listening to her too!  Go Helena!  The boys really enjoyed the hour and they were very well behaved.  Helena made it easy, she is so patient and was so good with the boys - her excitement and enthusiasm was contagious and the boys really glommed onto it and enjoyed her!  We have a date in two weeks.  2500 colones well spent.  Thanks Helena!

Tuesday - more rain, but I was able to get some clothes hung out in the a.m. before the clouds moved in.  

Today - HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL - Four years old!  We were bound and determined not to spend this birthday in the ER like we did last - goofing around with cousin Josh last year, Michael got up close and personal with a corner bookcase and need I say more?  Just one of the scars that decorate his forehead.  Off he went to school today (alone) while John stayed home.  Ah, getting one child to school - What a breeze!  No problems with the change in schedule either....thank goodness.  Goudy stayed with John as I was volunteering at the school for a couple of hours to help with the annual fundraising letter.  We met in the library (again, my friend Jude was there) organizing and giving us all direction as to the process.  Some of you may be getting a letter from me this year...Poppy/Choppy; yours is already in the mail :)  Back home by 3 p.m. as we had a family date at 4 to make a cake for Michael.  John and I decorated the door and we all enjoyed a banana cake post dinner.  We were even able to recycle some old candles (two) for a nice cake-topper.  Pop and Chop - Michael enjoyed opening his presents and the airplane does actually fly!

I guess in retrospect, a busy week and it is only Wednesday.

On this day, we do remember and give thanks to the biological mother/father of little Michael who have given us the greatest gift of all...a child's birthday to celebrate!

Signed: S

No comments:

Post a Comment