Monday, January 11, 2010

Severe Weather In Monteverde

This is the worst weather we've seen here. We are in the midst of a wind/rain storm, but I do not know if this is classified as a storm here. There is no indication of severe weather either on the radar nor in San Jose's forecast, but it would qualify for a severe weather warning in the US. I think it is just a compression of air being released over the mountains. Imagine an October cold front in the States bringing wind gusts, rain and cooler temperatures. Now imagine that front and its wind blowing for days rather than hours. The wind picked up Saturday night and has steadily gained strength since. Yesterday (Sunday) I clocked 40mph gusts, using my new anonometer (thanks Poppy & Choppy). Through the night, the sounds of trees blowing and the ceiling beams creaking kept waking me and I estimate 2AM gusts at 60mph. Although this house's framing looks like it can withstand a strong hurricane, (which do not hit Costa Rica) I was a little concerned about the termite damage compromising its strength! Do not worry - the house is fine and fortunately Melvin came the other day to tighten any loose roof panels. I am surprised that our electricity has been out for only a couple of minutes last evening. Of course, no internet when it goes out. The temperature outside and inside is 55 degrees. We might need to adjust our schedule today - I do not want to get hit by a falling branch!
All for now -
Signed M

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! We found our anonometor to be mesmerizing during a blow. Then you get so you can equate sounds with the wind speed and not have to look. I hope no limbs fall on the bus bringing Ginna back. Hold on to your hat and boys.

    ReplyDelete