Thursday, January 21, 2010

To Stay or Not to Stay

Sometimes things seem so clear and defined within one’s mind. If you would have asked me a month ago if we were returning to the States in June, I would have answered with an unequivocal YES; however, this past month, I have realized more about what makes this community special, and it is that feeling which is tugging on my heart strings and nagging at my brain.

Decision 1: Mike has decided not to return to the Friends School as a teacher next year. His work has been challenging and although he has learned a great deal and is so very thankful for the opportunity to be an educator at MFS, he will seek out a new opportunity. So what’s next for this family?

Answer 1: Flea for the States and return to the life we left behind last year…me working around the clock, and on the weekends and Mike caring for the boys. I pray I would not fall back into the ‘rat race’ per se, but realize that if we were to move back, we would have to be extremely diligent in creating and maintaining a life of simplicity. Here in Monteverde, it is so natural and effortless to not miss the TV, radio, car and the bombardment of advertising that faces each of us daily. I do hold hope that we can establish such a life back in the States and would make it my passion to do so.

Answer 2: Stay in Monteverde and seek out other work…some might ask why? Simply put, the boys are flourishing here; intellectually, linguistically, socially, environmentally and truly, what four year old wouldn’t want this type of playground right outside their front door? If I were to be selfish, I might just run for home, but if I truly have my children’s best interest at heart, we need to investigate this option of staying put. So, here I find myself needing to carve out some time to work through these options with Mike.

If we return, I need to search out school enrollment for the fall, start networking and send out my resume or post on line, connect with colleagues from my past, investigate rental homes and…how much does Cobra insurance cost for a family of four….choke?

If we stay, I need to confirm that the boys have not lost their “slot” in next year’s Kinder program just because Mike is not employed by the school, we need to seek out another house as the one we are currently living in is owned by and paid for by the School. Work Visas…no more, that means we would need to leave the country every 90 days to keep our tourist visas current. Work…what to do…what to do? Mike has some opportunities, perhaps in research; we have some connections and will make some time to seek out the University of Georgia that has a campus in San Luis, the Monteverde Institute or other establishments. I am hopeful I could do some sort of consulting over the internet to generate income.

So, either option requires work and discovery…anything is doable! I always remember my life coach saying….”Sally, you are always at choice” and indeed we are.

When I think back on all the preparations we made to get here, it is hard to wrap my mind around returning back to the States in 5 months.

What has turned me around about this place? Okay, ‘turned me around’ is a little harsh. I do like living here, although I have felt a little isolated and of course, miss my/Mike’s family dearly. People say it truly does take a full year to settle in and feel part of the community…maybe it is just a timing thing. The big moment of “okay, I can see myself here”, I guess happened over the Christmas holidays. Whether it was hosting a potluck at the house on Christmas Eve, the various Christmas programs we attended, the concert we attended at the Institute, the Wassle event, or being on the decorating committee to adorn the Meeting Room with Christmas – it started then. My growth has continued with the kick off of the school project ‘listening circles’ and I must admit, my ears are tired. Listening to other’s perspective about the school, meeting and the community has opened my heart and allowed me to see this community through perhaps a different set of eyes. And most importantly, I have made some friends along the way too which helps when all you want to do is chat a while or share a lunch together.

So, this is what consumes me today – what shall we do? What is our next journey? As I worry about the ‘oh my gosh, I’m not contributing to any 401K this year, we are not putting anything away for the kid’s college this year” I have learned to pause and breathe and mutter, ‘it really is okay, we are fine, we have this great opportunity before us – and what shall we do with it?”

The journey continues…

Sign

5 comments:

  1. Sally and Mike:

    Ask and you will receive.

    Listen, listen carefully and He will tell you what is in your heart as you work to make decisions.

    What's good for your boys, can always be made to be good for you.

    I'll pray that He will whisper in your ears what he has in store for you.

    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    Jeremiah 29:11

    Blessings,

    David S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I love that translation of the King James: "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." What Bible is it from? Sally, you write beautifully...so clearly. I can so relate to your thoughts. We are loving getting to know you and Mike here in Monteverde.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria:

    It's from the NIV - New International Version - it's the translation that my kids use at their schools and I have come to love it. It's written in plain English and is so easy to follow.

    If you really are into reading the Bible you need to take a shot at "The Message". This is a translation in modern "slang" by a Canadian theologian - it's pretty out there!

    Here is the same passage from "The Message" by Eugene H. Peterson:

    "I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for."

    Jeremiah 29:11 - The Message

    Praise and Prayers.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys need to move to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Sally,
    I'm guy from Oakville you met yesterday at the school. Could you please write me a quick email as I can find your email, sorry.
    Your blog is of great value to me, and we are currently going through a process similar to what you describe on this entry.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    many thanks for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete