Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Life Here Is Pretty Darn Good

Beginning last summer, we mulled over options to experience life in a different way than how we had been living. It was feasible to make some changes to our current habits and daily activities, get formally involved in more community groups, take long weekend trips with the children, to name a few. Aiming for a better work/life balance, accepting the financial consequences, knowing that our professional skill sets could be transfered almost anywhere, we knew doors might open to something significant. 

Let me preface by saying that life here in the Chicago suburbs is pretty darn good. We enjoy the comforts of a safe neighborhood full of generous and friendly people. Our children have numerous opportunities to get involved in park district activities, play with the two dozen or so kids that live on our block and other close friends who live in our area. We love our family members and appreciate the geographic proximity and love given by aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents. We have opportunity after opportunity to fill our days with friends, family, recreation and exploration. 

But let's face reality, sometimes people 'need a change.' Could be a change of work, hobby, relationship - or a combination of factors. You get the point. The first step is recognizing that a change might lead to increased life satisfaction.  The second step requires an assessment of options: Should I find a new job? Should I play a sport, learn to dance, try new recipes? Should I reconnect with an old friend, should I put boundaries on a relationship? Depending on the assessment, one might decide that change is too risky, too uncomfortable, or too anxiety producing. or maybe decide that it is worth the risk, leaving a comfort zone, and that the anxiety produced is positive and inspiring.  The final step is to make the choice: continue 'as is' or take action.  Seems simple, doesn't it?  

For us we have spent many a restless night wrestling with whether or not we are being selfish? are we unnecessarily uprooting our family? are we being careless about our finances? are we putting our children in a less safe situation? should we sell the house? have we fallen off of our rocker? We are fully aware that many of our current challenges related to parenting, work responsibilities and relationships will remain and that there will be new challenges as well. Signed M.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations M and family! I know it was a big decision for you to make! I bought two houses in CR 2/08 and although I have gone back numerous times on vacation (I bought them after my first visit) I haven't experienced life there for any extended period of time! I look forward to reading about your experiences and hope to spend some time at my home away from home once I retire. In the meantime, you'll be living La Pura Vida for me and I'll be experiencing it through you! Take Care!!!

    ReplyDelete