Monday, July 27, 2009

Say Hello & Wave Goodbye


This past weekend was very telling of what is to come as we visited with neighbors, were surprised by old friends dropping by to bid us farewell, the continued generosity of our neighbors and family members packing, cleaning and playing with the kids.  As I write this while the household sleeps, it is the first time that the 'end' and the 'beginning' (for me) converge into these last few days of transition.  Will it be the HELLO and the integration into our new life that will be what keeps me awake these last few days or will it be the GOODBYES that we impart to our friends and family?  Likely both will be emotionally taxing.  We have been so blessed to have the support of friends and family as we embark on this journey.  I for one, will miss my dear friend, my sister Beth, who has been my rock as I weathered through some tough times.  For the last five years we have lived on the same block where we have established many rituals...the most significant being the Sunday night "mooch a meal" (as she calls it).  ...clearly this will be a tough goodbye.  However, I can prolong that one a little longer since she is flying down with us for a week to help us settle in. We are thankful for her extra hands and her open heart.  

So many parties and impromptu gatherings over the last several weeks.  Many belly laughs with my family as they visited from North Carolina and Florida earlier this month and a wonderful 'shindig' hosted by Mike's clan a couple of weeks ago.  We enjoyed our family who traveled in from Minnesota for the event.  I will miss Mike's family tremendously - imagine marrying into a family of 10 kids.  I am a very blessed daughter-in-law, aunt, sister-in-law to have a fantastic extended family who cares and nurtures me as one of their own!  It is these connections and relationships that we cherish and will take with us as we head South.  
For me, these emotions are still under the layers of exhaustion as we pack and prepare into the early morning hours, the anticipation, excitement, anxiety - no doubt they will bubble up to the surface as I stare at my empty house later today and lay my weary body down on an air mattress later tonight.

I will think of it as HASTA LUEGO for now and leave the Goodbyes for another time.

Signed: S  

No comments:

Post a Comment