Thursday, August 13, 2009

Good Day...Sunshine





First, let me respond to a comment from Yesi (one of our followers).
We did not ship anything - the school provides us with a home which is furnished (albeit rustically at best). We regret not packing our good knife set and had to purchase a new knife (single) when we arrived as the one in our kitchen looked like it not only cut veggies, chicken, fruit, etc., but also served as a hack saw and a tool to chop firewood:).
The furnishings in our house are old and outdated, concrete floor, towels that can double as loofah sponges and a coffee maker that just doesn't heat up the coffee enough to our liking, so we start by boiling water on the stove before pouring it into the coffee maker...perhaps we just need to go with the coffee sock that was left behind. We have entertained purchasing a dryer since the laundry for a family of four is quite a task; however with three straight days of brilliant sun we may defer. As long as the sun shines and you keep one eye on the weather, I think you'll be okay. We saw a new dryer in Santa Elena for about $400 US dollars...not sure what your quote is for shipping. Also, the hardware stores are hit or miss but this may because of our location in the mountains. I believe most people from here go into San Jose for the day/weekend to do some special shopping. There are only two 'real' mattresses in the house --- the others are foam along with pillows...no wonder why we are up at 3 a.m. every day??? We did bring sheets for the boys beds - thinking it would be a comfort thing for them, but now wish I had brought my own sheets and pillows...we are making due. One last thing...the washing machine is a two step process, one side for washing and rinsing and then a second bin for spinning, there is a drain lever that controls when to empty to the dirty water... One of the things I would recommend doing is getting all your dr. appointments taken care of...and we were able to get a year's supply of any maintenance type prescriptions which is one less thing to worry about. Let me know if you have any other questions....

Today was another beautiful sunny day, I think the third in a row. I am getting spoiled and will have a dose of reality once the real rainy season starts next month. Another busy day, the boys were out of sorts today in the evening...no naps which is difficult as they are probably expending double (if not triple the energy) than in Chicago. Not to mention the increase in their appetites. They are putting away three times as much food as they were last month as well. By 7 a.m., I had hung laundry, boiled pasta for lunch, cut up mango and tomatoes only to have the boys consume 1/2 the pasta by 8 a.m. - What is that saying...growing boys?

Goudy and Loandry came today, and I spent three solid hours with her talking Spanish as the boys played. The boys are feeling more comfortable with Loandry and they are having fun playing in the trees and eating lolly-pops together. The boys are warming up to Goudy as she really has a sweet way with them. I had to run a passport up to school today which was a good test as I left Goudy in charge - the house was still standing when I returned and no war wounds either...so they survived without me for 20 minutes.

Yesterday, we walked up to school and played at the playground only to be called into the multi-purpose room to watch one of the high-school kids teach the Marenge (sp) to all the teachers. The student, Randy, is the friend of Doug and Annette Barndt who are college friends from Lenoir Rhyne. Mike strutted his stuff on the dance floor while the boys and I looked on.

I am tired tonight and will close in an attempt to get some quality sleep.
Hasta Luego,
Signed: S

2 comments:

  1. Curious....which beds have the "real" mattresses? I have on record from a very reliable source.....my aching back that it couldn't have been my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike & Sally,

    I find myself checking your posts often - what an inspiration! I hope you know that your frequent posts are much appreciated and so informative and educational (I have had to google a couple of the creatures you have encountered and more!!)

    Do you get mail and/or package delivery? As I get ready for a year of disciples leadership, I have some ideas rolling around in my head!

    The challenges that you are triumphing over daily,even the laundry, make the traffic on the Eisenhower every morning seem like a walk in the park!

    You are in my prayers,

    Debbie
    deb.weber@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete