Thursday, August 20, 2009

School - Outside looking In

When I picked up the boys from school the first day and emerged from the wooded path, I saw a sight I've never seen before in the U.S. (although I am sure it exists). It was completely foreign to me, so I am sure i looked a little 'deer in the headlights', but nonetheless, it was refreshing. Brooms, brooms and more brooms, kids sweeping up the front of the school, emptying trash, composting, etc., at the end of each day. Now - that is a great way to teach accountability and responsibility not to mention keeping the maintenance and clean-up costs of the school to a minimum. It is quite a social scene when the bell rings - kids head to the play-yard, the local farmer may be taking orders or dropping off dairy goods from their farm or some transplants from Argentina selling home-made breads and sweets. A flurry of activity...you can only imagine what it is like inside the classroom.

Yesterday when I dropped the boys off for their second day, I ended up staying around for about 40 minutes as Michael had quite a hold on me...I think he was a little apprehensive and insecure coming out of the clinic the night before. The teachers gave him extra TLC and once they mentioned celebrating a birthday with cake, that's all it took for Michael to let me loose. I was able to observe the teachers in action and the Spanish is full throttle forward. During 'circle time', I was happy that I could at least sing along with the select song...'Buenas Tardes, buenas tardes, como estas....' I come to find out tonight at the dinner table that Michael helped clean the chalk board and John watered the plants outside. It is like pulling teeth sometimes to get any information about school from a three year old! They have met all their classmates and have already formed a boy-bond with Jackson, another very active little one.

The kinder teachers are hosting a Sunday tea where they will share their teaching philosophy (Montessori) and give the parents and children a chance to meet and interact....looking forward to it. I have met many families walking to school on the way to drop or pick up the boys...all with very interesting stories as to how they have come to know Monteverde.

Mike attended a meeting tonight at the school for new teachers, parents, sort of an orientation...pot-luck dinner afterwards. I stayed home with the kids as we could not get a sitter and thought since the meeting coincides with the bewitching hour, no naps and already up for 12 hours, better to stay home than to trudge through the pouring rain. I walked into Santa Elena today to get some ingredients at the Super Compro to make a beet salad for the pot-luck. Santa Elena is a grueling walk on the return trip...and I thought I was in shape????

We are watching the Director's dog as he and his wife had to go down to San Jose unexpectedly today...the boys are enjoying Ellie, not so sure Ellie is enjoying all the attention from them though :)

Watching the boys is constant chore (I mean joy), with no TV or fenced yard to send them off to, you always have to keep one eye on them or an open ear. Couple this with the daily chores - no wonder why I am passed out by 8 p.m.

Looking forward to another weekend and opportunity to expand our social network.

BTW - It is 8:30 PM, pouring rain and we hear a very boisterous howler monkey outside and much closer to home, one of the many dogs who hang out here (there are upwards of 1/2 dozen)...this one we have affectionately named "Limper" as he is an old, (I think relatively harmless) dog with a bum leg and no tail. He is scratching at the door and frequently wakes us up at 4:30 a.m. with his whining. He sits on the bench outside our bedroom window and stares at us through the window with a very forlorn look; it breaks our heart but we have decided not to get in the boarding business! Sorry Limper -

Signed: S

No comments:

Post a Comment